The Mini-Project Release Thread

LazloPsylus

A Certain Scientific Railgun
Railgun
Have smaller projects that aren't suitable to be given a full thread, but you still want to release to the community to enjoy? This would be the place to do it. While the Quick Showcase thread has been good for showing off samplers of things in the works, this thread is dedicated to actually getting those small, one-off projects out to the world when it's not something that seems fitting for its own thread.

Have at it, folks.

Last edited:
That was fun!

The SEGA screen was an awesome touch in my opinion~

I really like the small details you guys put into GHZ, like the tiny flowers, or the palmtree sprite object which goes infront of the checkerboard backgrounds, they're really nice touches which add to GHZ but without going overboard either. I was also happy to see some unique badnik choices, like the spring on the back of the motorbug! I would love to see that utilised more though (perhaps you could set it such that the spring lands on the floor after destroying the badnik?).

Object positioning is slightly questionable in a few places, but honestly not bad or game-breaking, certainly clean enough for my liking. The remixed act 2 music took me by surprise! Not a bad remix! I did notice that act 2 felt like original GHZ's act 1 and 2 combined with some nice edits here or there, I was almost expecting it to continue into act 3's layout... The rotating ball flying off of the boss makes me feel as though you guys have something more planned for it in future, please say you do because it looks very exciting so far!

That was fun!

The SEGA screen was an awesome touch in my opinion~

I really like the small details you guys put into GHZ, like the tiny flowers, or the palmtree sprite object which goes infront of the checkerboard backgrounds, they're really nice touches which add to GHZ but without going overboard either. I was also happy to see some unique badnik choices, like the spring on the back of the motorbug! I would love to see that utilised more though (perhaps you could set it such that the spring lands on the floor after destroying the badnik?).

Object positioning is slightly questionable in a few places, but honestly not bad or game-breaking, certainly clean enough for my liking. The remixed act 2 music took me by surprise! Not a bad remix! I did notice that act 2 felt like original GHZ's act 1 and 2 combined with some nice edits here or there, I was almost expecting it to continue into act 3's layout... The rotating ball flying off of the boss makes me feel as though you guys have something more planned for it in future, please say you do because it looks very exciting so far!
thanks man this means a lot and yes ive been working on this for a year and editing the engine to act like s3k too bad parrlax is being painful and yea there will be an x mas demo that will include hpz with some sonic 2 mobile stuff and custom ideas for the future and some awsome ideas planned cant spoil it tho :p (there will be an enemy when you hit it it becomes a spring)

there is something very cursed about the controller delay setting automatically sending you to LZ3 if you select it as a level

(also, the link is still redirecting me from youtube)

Recently, PinoBatch made some small ROMs for the NES and SNES that changes the top half of the screen to blue and the bottom half to yellow. I wanted to give this a shot to see if I could go any lower. With the help of Jorge and Tails8521 we were able to squeeze the ROM down to an impressive 128 bytes! The program itself is 77 bytes, but it's padded to take advantage of mirroring to appease the TMSS by having "SEGA" stored in the stack pointer spot in the vector table so it's mirrored at $100. Sadly, we couldn't find any way to reduce the program down to 64 bytes. Still impressive nonetheless.

Attachments

• UAFlag.bin
    128 bytes · Views: 3
Last edited:
"Sonic the Hedgehog: Nick Arcade Edition"
A challenge hack where you have to collect 25 rings within 30 seconds of each zone. If you don't meet the 30-second requirement, you have to restart the level.
Some levels were removed from the level order as I thought they were nearly impossible to complete. The level select is still available if you want to try them out.

Current bugs:
  • SBZ3 seems to remove a life from you when you start it
  • Crashing can occasionally occur when clearing a level, though it's uncommon.

Attachments

• NA_V2.bin
    538.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
SHC anthology - may 11 prototype build (sonic 2 hack)

It is a hack that is in the workings, from now on I'll be releasing montly releases, I may need to make a thread of it later.

I'm making this hack where I had given it's name for a really special reason. it is meant to be the "Sonic Mania" of the Hacking scene. by that I mean its premise is to pay homage for many sonic hacks that I played during the 2010's as a edgy teenager, Through the level art, zone music and etc.
1652379239333-png.178

Features :
- A full overhaul of EHZ, featuring custom level art, chunks, animated tiles, and an unique background (with code borrowed from CPZ lol)
- brand new sonic sprite art and reskinned badniks
- rehashed gimmicks taken from other zones, to form something of it's own
- an exquisite level layout inspired on SCD large and horizontal zones
and much more.

CREDITS:
Coding: AngelKOR64, lavagaming and yami
Music: Mr. Joker 27
Art and level design: Me

I don't want to make this post really long, but if you want more info check out here
also the level map I talked about, because I'm really putting a lot of effort on it to be really good, hope to receive feedback about it.
you may only see it after playing the hack so it won't ruin your first experience I guess :v

at this point, it features an incomplete ACT 1, with only the top section sewed up with the sign post so you could at least finish the level lol
anyway, enjoy, the link is below.

Attachments

• 1652379239333.png
    1652379239333.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 114
  • SHCA MAY11.bin
    2 MB · Views: 3
"Sonic the Hedgehog: Unfinished Example" This is my first Sonic Hack that is obviously a short hack. Only GHZ act 1 and 2 have been edited with newer pallete, and some basic moves added to Sonic. As the name suggests, it's an unfinished example of a Sonic 1 ROM Hack.
Following are the things that were added to this hack:
  • Spindash was added [the dust is missing]
  • Jumpdash code was added.
  • Removed Speedcap, Air Cap.
  • Few other minor bug fixes by me and Joshwoakes.
  • The boss is now harder and has 12 hits in usually of 8 hits.
and few other minor bug fixes that are too much to list =P.
Credits:
  • Jumpdash code by Selbi.
  • Spindash tutorial from Sonic Retro
  • Songs added from JX, Nineko's SMPS Pack, Gamma V's SMPS Pack, and others that I don't remember the names.
  • MegaPCM by vladikcomper
  • The DAC's by Joshwoakes
  • Joshwoakes for the help and suggestions.
  • MrVSC for the help and suggestions
  • LuigiXHero and few other people in the Free Assests Thread and Mini Tutorial Thread.
  • And SSRG Discord Server for the suggestions as well.
Few Bugs We have found:
  • In Labyrinth Zone, Sonic does a full jump even when not holding the button long enough.
  • If Sonic gets stuck at a slope (particularly the curved top slopes), he can get stuck. Luckily you can get yourself out of that situation.
  • The "DSK PRESENTS" screen can get glitchy if you beat the level or the game and going towards the title screen again
Please Enjoy and have a good day.

Attachments

• s1built.bin
    886 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Cross-Post from SSRG:
Hello there People.
Remember my first ever Sonic 1 Hack that I posted here few months ago, yeah it's back. Now with more additional stuff in it as well.
This is Sonic 1: Unfinished Example Remade. The following stuff are in the hack:
  • Now with different level design, as well as longer and a little high levels, [if that makes any sense lol].
  • New ASM tweaks such as S3K slow ducking, a double jump, a slightly slower JumpDash. And better fading in and out of colors,
  • A new and not so new palette for Sonic.
  • Some new chunks as well, [well not many but yeah].
  • And finally, A NEW SPECIAL STAGE. wow never see that one coming, very original DSK..
Now these are additional changes as well as some changes in the music side as well, but you wont get to hear those if you don't know how to access the level select HAHA =P.
Now few insects I found out that was accidentally done by me, The Boss theme doesn't stop when you defeat the boss apparently. Don't know why, but that apparently exists. If you go to the Special Stage, at some areas you can get yourself stuck due to how collision is making sonic getting stuck, well it was my first time making a Special Stage, so yeah. =P
Credits
  • Joshwoakes for the HUD code and few helping in general knowledge of coding. And help on level design help as well.
  • D.A Garden for help on level design and object managements and object placements.
  • Darkex for the Double Jump Code.
  • The Tutorials and Utilities on SSRG and Sonic Retro.
  • The People on SSRG Discord Server for the help.
  • And few others that I can't remember on top of my head at the moment but you guys are remembered.

Attachments

• Unfinised Example 1.PNG
    Unfinised Example 1.PNG
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Unfinised Example 2.PNG
    Unfinised Example 2.PNG
    106.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Unfinised Example 3.PNG
    Unfinised Example 3.PNG
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Sonic Unfinished Example Remade.bin
    899.7 KB · Views: 1
Here is a small, 1-zone demo of my ROMHack: Eggman's Conquest (Used to be called "The Real Sonic 2").

GHZ has multiple small updates, you'll see them when you play the demo.
There are also many under the hood engine modifications.
Otherwise, this is very similar to the last demo from SHC. Download : https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/859921022215389205/913484524745273375/s2built.bin
tip of the day dont play as knucklesView attachment 90
remember this ? i hex edited and changed a few pointers in it to locate the newest sega screen (from a new version of the ROM hack) and shc splash screen along with fixing a few bugs such as the camera lock in ghz boss and how the collpasing platforms crumble ,dont complain about the layout in ghz you can always help by using the links in the hacks besides GHZ is being replaced by an orignal zone in the latest version so have your go at it :)

Attachments

• ConquestUndefined.bin
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Cross-post from SSRG:
So uhh, yes hello there. How's it going everyone, did ya miss me... no... okay....
Anyhow yes I am back with the same old hack, but this time I am giving an improvement over my previous release[which is the SHC demo].Now you might be asking, but DSK, didn't you posted the hack in the SHC expo 1 month ago, why are you posting it again. And the answer to my friend is... It was pure shit to be honest, not even kidding, it crashed on Bizhawk, Blastem, Regen, hell even on real hardware it crashed. So after that demotivating weeks later, I started to work on my hack yet again, and this time without the crash bullshit. And much more polished than the previous version, well that's debatable lolololol.
I have tested my hack on Bizhawk[ old being 1.132 to new 2.7], Blastem, [don't know the version but it did work there.]. Regen, [I think v0.97...]. Kega... Kega. Gens. And finally Clownmdemu.
Anyhow with this version/release, I have added the following things:
Stuff Added:
  • Same old stuff the double jump, spindash, airdash or the jumpdash. But now there is a downward dash which can be pressed by the C button. Remember that.
  • Every act now has its own music.
  • Act clear jingle has been changed.
  • Level Design Tweaks, as well as object placement and extended few zones/acts width of the level.
  • ASM and music replacements... not alot with the ASM, but you'll get it what I mean.
  • Special Stage 1 has been changed... yeah that's about it.
  • Added SLZ 2, DHZ4[yes Act 4 baby which is unused mid game], BGZ2[although unused when playing the game normally], BYZ1 and 2.
  • Palettes of SLZ and BYZ have been changed.
  • Personal AfterImage code for sonic if he's going super fast or when speedshoes is activated or destroyed.
  • Level Select is open, but I'll give the code in a bit.
  • More things that I can't get in my head at the moment. And would be too long if I add more.
So yeah these were the things that were added and modified in this release.
Now for Sonic's Moveset:
  • Spindash [down+A/B/C]
  • Double Jump [A/B/C then A]
  • Air Dash[A/B/C then B]
  • Downward Dash[A/B/C then C]
These are the sonic's moveset, so yeah. Have fun with them.
Level Select Code:
U,D,D,R for the US region
U,U,D,D,L.R for the JPN region
If still you find any errors, either mid game, or in the sound test let me know. And I may give it a look whenever I come back to this hack in the future.
Credits:
  • Joshwoakes for the basic assembly help, being supportive throughout this small project. Basic level and object design placement. And beta testing from the start till now.
  • Vishera[also known by god knows how many times he changes his online name] for supporting from the very first day till now. Basic chunk placement. As well as few object placement.
  • The SSRG and the SHC discord server for giving me helpful tips on level design and few ASM stuff. Even if they were basic.
  • My skills for making few music of my own. And my dumbass attempts at stuff that were never seen the light of day.
  • My brain for actually doing something original for once.
  • Valley Bell for the Act 2 of Dusk Hill and the special stage. Originally Found in VGMRips.com[although It redirected me to the ssrg music competition when downloading the special stage music].
  • Nineko Pack found in the Free Assets Thread.
  • Knuckles Emerald Hunt src for the labyrinth act 1 music.
  • Dax Katter for general music help.
  • Many others that I can't seem to remember at the moment but they are fully remembered for helping me out.
  • And lastly YOU, for playing this.
Now I am once asking, if you test this hack, or play it on real hardware. And it works fine, then it's a success. If not, then let me know.
Capture.PNGCapture 2.1.PNGCapture 2.2.PNGCapture 2.3.PNGCapture 2.4.PNG

Attachments

• S1UER Final Release.bin
    863.5 KB · Views: 0
Hello All! Last year I made a basic Sonic 1 layout hack, and I recently made some adjustments based on the feedback I got, and designed two more acts. I added a lot more rings this time (shout out to Project FM's Sonic 3 Object/Ring Manager reference), so I increased the extra life ring count to 120 rings instead, for extra challenge. Let me know what you think!
Generic GHZ Layout Hack v2 00.PNGGeneric GHZ Layout Hack v2 01.PNG

Attachments

• GHZ Layout Hack v2_TIS.bin
    1 MB · Views: 1
Back