Quick Showcase Thread

Been working a little more on my DPCM streaming driver, SONAR. The conversion workflow is just about finalized and I have some future plans that should allow me to push the ROM footprint of songs even lower under the right circumstances, but that'll have to wait until I can find the time to sit down and write a proper tool to convert things. For now, enjoy this delicious preview~ (music by galaxy_rac00n)

View attachment Boss_SONAR.ogg

Here's a link to a ROM for any of you who wanna see how this sounds on real hardware, too.

Last edited:
Been working a little more on my DPCM streaming driver, SONAR. The conversion workflow is just about finalized and I have some future plans that should allow me to push the ROM footprint of songs even lower under the right circumstances, but that'll have to wait until I can find the time to sit down and write a proper tool to convert things. For now, enjoy this delicious preview~ (music by galaxy_rac00n)

View attachment 72

I've included the ROM in a zip file for any of you who wanna see how this sounds on real hardware, too.
yeahuh.png
Yeah uh, it isn't working. This error occurs when unzipping, so I can't test it on any emulator or on my Genesis.

Yeah uh, it isn't working. This error occurs when unzipping, so I can't test it on any emulator or on my Genesis.
Bleeeh. Not sure why that is. I've gone ahead and replaced it with an off-site link. Hope that works better.

About a month ago I got inspired to try out an effect after coming up with an idea of an HBlank trick...
Kefrens Bars on the Genesis!
The effect works by using the fact that once you draw something, it sticks on screen till you clear it. So what I do is on the top line of the screen, I draw a word to that line from a table I built in RAM. Then when the screen draws downward, I adjust the scrolling so only the first line is drawn down the screen. If I'm not doing much of anything else I can get a full screen (224) bars running. I'm proud of what I was able to get working, but not terribly happy with the result; It's limited to moving in half tiles horizontally making it only able to move 80 steps for the whole screen. It makes it look choppy at slower speeds and doesn't look as elegant as what they do on the Amiga.

Before v. After

GHZ1Comparison.png

I rewrote Flight of the Tornado's menu system to use lookup tables. This setup makes it easier to add new item menus with indexed functions. I don't feel that its quite complete yet though, I would like to move it from using sprites to ASCII. It's also obviously not visually complete. The plan is to have a sky gradient in the background that represents the selected difficulty, and the 2 players planes with their respective characters piloting them. But for now this works!
fott001.png

You can't hide the image with the blur; I can see behind the effects, and I know what's going on. So let me do an analysis, shall we?

In the picture sent by Inferno, there are five colours: red, orange, purple, grey-green and blue. Initially, I thought the colours weren't that important until I took a look at some blue and red blob in the centre. However, look at how the colours are structured: red at the bottom and blue at the top. What could that blob be? Since this is a Mega Drive community, I immediately said it's Sonic the Hedgehog. C'mon, wasn't it obvious? =P

OK, now we know it's a Sonic game. Let me take a look at what's around it. The colours... they seem to align to make... BOOM! Marble Zone! However, I've played Sonic 1 for a while, and I have noticed that there aren't any slopes... but this custom game seems to have it. And stones and purple rocks aren't mixed initially, but they are now. And the lava structure... why does it remind me of some Marble Zone mockup from late-1990 to early-1991? Could this be the definitive Marble Zone?

OK, the analysis is done, kthxbye. :v

Last edited:
Back